Monday, March 9, 2009

Jill Parvin's tragedy and "toning down"

Today March 8, 2009 I received an email telling me that Jill Parvin's husband just died. The anonymous emailer said, "I might want to consider removing her name or at least toning some of this stuff down in regards to her."

First I am very sad she lost her husband. I am sure he was a fine man and I believe she is probably a very good woman, just misguided regarding Guffanti. Let me offer her my deepest sympathy. I am sure her loss is profound. I hope she has wonderful memories to comfort herself in her very sad and difficult time.

But secondly, I have re-read the post the anonymous emailer referred to. Here: http://vistaschools.blogspot.com/2008/10/guffanti-criminal-campaign-fraud.html
I found a couple of poorly written sentences that need help and I found a lot written about Guffanti, but very little about Jill Parvin. I am not sure what 'stuff' about her needs toning down. I wrote almost nothing about her. I do not know her. I had never heard of her before the NCTimes broke their long standing publishing policy and allowed her two published editorial pieces in the same week--one a letter to the editor and another a forum piece. Worse the TWO published pieces were redundant. Here is the pertainant part of the NCTimes LETTERS POLICY: Writers are limited to one letter to the editor or Community Forum about every two weeks.

Both her published pieces were on the same subject, support for Guffanti in the school board election. Worst of all the Forum piece was factually in error and contained a false charge against the good teachers of the VUSD and a gross factual error on the amount of money spent by Guffanti. I corrected her errors, nothing more.

Her first false claim was that there was a campaign by the teachers to deny that Guffanti was a doctor. She gave no verifiable evidence to back that contention. The North County Times editors did not force her to document the charge as they routinely do (line by line) when a PRO-education writer submits a Forum piece.

I am quite familiar with the Vista Teacher's Association. I receive their emails and campaign literature. There were no such charges in any campaign literature. I have never heard anyone on the PRO education side say anything about him not being a doctor.

I also corrected her second false statement that Stephen Guffanti had spent only a few thousand dollars in his campaign against the teachers.

I knew back in October that this statement was false as I know how much campaign fliers, etc cost. I knew then that he had spent tens of thousands of dollars but had no information about the totals. Tonight I have received an email spreadsheet listing his 2004 contributors and the amount they contributed. It comes to either $56, 866.04 or $62,776 depending on how the amounts are added or valued.

Jill Parvin's Forum was ABSOLUTELY wrong where she said he spent only a few thousand dollars on the campaign. This fact could have been checked at the San Diego Registrar of Voters office. It was not. Yet it was allowed in the Forum by the editor (J. Stryker Meyer?) who checks Forum material for the NCTimes before it is published. This was clear bias by the NCTIMES editor.

I corrected her editorial. I did not insult her.

What am I supposed to tone down regarding her? By the way the same false charge about the teachers denying Guffanti's medical credential was in the North County Times blogs as recently as yesterday. http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/03/06/news/coastal/vista/zafeb0db720418fa8882575710068a8e6.txt

To find the false blog scroll down after the article to the comment by Samuel March 7, 2009 2:56PM PST who said, "Some of the information was blogged including the claim that he (Guffanti) wasn’t really a medical doctor."

I believe I read every blog having to do with VUSD in the NCtimes from June 2008 through today March 08, 2009. I have at no time EVER seen a blog that denied that Guffanti was a doctor.

Again what about Jill Parvin should I tone down in the above? The article is mostly about Guffanti. Very little is written about Jill Parvin. Please anonymous tell me what is objectionable.

Here is the email in its entirety:

Just so you know, Jill's husband recently passed away unexpectedly. Perhaps you might want to consider removing her name or at least toning some of this stuff down in regards to her. Guffanti is what he is but she's going through a rough time and it's sort of sad to see her name here when I was just looking for his obituary.Thanks.

Further research in the NCTimes archives—Another two hours on a Sunday night.

I re-read Jill Parvin’s editorial in the North County Times in October 2008. In the first paragraph she referred to a blog after the NCTimes article about the VTA endorsing candidates. She claimed the blog was posted on September 5, 2008. There was no such article that I could find on that date. Using “vista schools” as the search words for that date, September 5, 2008, I found seven entries all had to do with high school sports not one had to do with the school board election.

I ran a five more searches with different terms for September 5, 2008 with words like “union” “endorsement” “endorses” etc. There was not one hit.

I, after a dozen more searches, finally found the VTA endorsement article on August 30, 2008 “VTA backs three in school board race” http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/08/30/news/coastal/vista/zec24e211d7b31852882574b40057a5a1.txt

I read all of the sixty of so blogs following the article, I found NO reference that said Guffanti did not have a medical degree.

So again I ask what is it about my original blog entry correcting Jill Parvin’s forum that was objectionable? Or incorrect?

I am very sorry for her loss. I will correct or change anything in my blog that is factually wrong. I will even change wording of the blog. Please give me suggestions. I do not want to add to her grief.

FURTHER UPDATE March 13, 2009

I received a second comment on this matter this time from "Jerry". He pointed me to the article that Jill Parvin's Forum "Dr. Guffanti is a doctor" had referenced. The article was published on September 4th 2008 in regards to the CSEA joining the VTA in endorsing Jaka, Chunka, and Lilly. Here: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/09/03/news/coastal/vista/z8ad321691d7c4e18882574b9005b9e47.txt

His post is at the my original blog. Here: http://vistaschools.blogspot.com/2008/10/guffanti-criminal-campaign-fraud.html

The blog about the article that Jill Parvin referenced was posted on September 5. Interesting that the NCTimes did not provide a link to the article in Jill Parvin's Forum piece. First time I have ever read an article in NCTimes that referenced an earlier NCTimes piece without a link. Perhaps because the blogs following that article do not support Jill Parvin's main contention in her Forum that the VTA had a campaign to say Guffanti was not a doctor. Never happened. The blogs do not support that contention.

The blogs followed a CSEA announced endorsement. I would guess most of the bloggers were CSEA folks. Even so not one blog said he was not a medical doctor. One said he was retired which was inaccurate and corrected on the blog. but I certainly understand the confusion we all have about Dr. Guffanti's practice of medicine. He has no office listed in the phone book. He has not had "privileges" at either Tri City or Palomar Medical Center. We have been told he practiced ER medicine in central California, Borrego Springs, San Marcos at Workers Comp office, and now Jill Parvin says he has an office in Vista. All confusing, maybe explained by the blog that says he is a "substitute" doctor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am forwarding the following information regarding the blogs that infered that Dr. Guffanti was not a medical doctor. I would appreciate your correcting your comment contained in the Jill Parvin story:

13) Voter wrote on Oct 10, 2008 2:21 PM:

To Kathy- you are making an interesting point you say that Guffanti is a MD working in an ER right? So where does he work? For what hospital? Where?
I want to know because if he puts this information down in the register of voters pamphlet than we have the right to know where he works. Right?
So North County Times since you endorsed Guffanti do you even know where he works? By the way what is the name of his non profit organization?
Voters have the right to know this much, so how about it Stacy tells us?

________________________________________________________________________________

SCHOOL DISTRICT UNIONS AGREE ON ENDORSEMENTS 9-4-08
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/09/03/news/coastal/vista/z8ad321691d7c4e18882574b9005b9e47.txt

(41) Lisa wrote on Sep 5, 2008 8:18 AM:

What are you guys kidding? Don't vote for DR. Lilly, a PHD in education, and the former Dean of Education at CSUSM? Instead vote for DR. Guffanti, who is a retired MD, never taught a minute in a classroom? Wow, now that's a stretch.

Samuel to Lisa wrote on Sep 5, 2008 11:21 AM:

Dr. Guffanti has not retired as a medical doctor. Why would you make such a statement without verification unless your motives are questionable at best?

(44) To Samuel wrote on Sep 5, 2008 2:09 PM:

Really? Haven't heard where he is practicing medicine in years, but I did hear he speaks to home school workshops, and has promoted his phonics program. In fact on google only articles that come up are home school workshops. So where does he practice medicine?

(45) Samuel wrote on Sep 5, 2008 2:45 PM:

This has been covered numerous times before but I can understand that new bloggers wouldn’t have seen this before. Dr. Guffanti fills in as needed in various medical facilities. Staff doctors do go on vacations not to mention the various seminars that they must attend to maintain their ongoing learning requirements. There are times when medical facilities simply get over loaded and need extra help. This is the niche that the Doctor fills. It seems to me that this type of practice would require an individual of high intellect and dedication. And, yes he is also dedicated to education. This is why he has the phonics business and does other things related to education. It sure seems to me that this type of a person is well qualified to be reelected to the Board in November.

(47) To Samuel wrote on Sep 5, 2008 9:51 PM:

So let me get this straight... Dr. Guffanti is a "substitute" doctor??? He fills in when real doctors are on vacation or at seminars?? And to think it's his "DR" title that so naively impresses voters.

Samuel wrote on Sep 5, 2008 10:37 PM:

I really don’t understand what your problem is with Dr. Guffanti. I will try one more time. He followed the same route as anyone who has earned a MD. He obtained a Bachelor’s degree, went to medical school, completed his internship and was finally awarded his MD. There have been several programs on TV following students through this very tough regimen and there is no question that it is a very difficult journey. Dr. Guffanti is filling a needed niche in the medical field. Yes, I believe that his medical doctor title should impress voters. If you feel that you need to keep subject going please continue. I have a feeling others are also shaking their heads wondering why someone feels it is necessary to try and besmirch a good man. To Dr. Guffanti’s family—don’t pay any attention to these blogs. Some people are just this way.

(49) Lisa wrote on Sep 6, 2008 7:42 AM:

I've never heard of a substitute MD, I'm glad I've never HAD a substitute MD. When will the Guffanti backers see him for what he really is... ?

(50) Lisa wrote on Sep 6, 2008 11:36 AM:

"Substitute" DR? I've heard of substitute teachers but DR's? Don't think I want one!

(51) Taxpayer to Lisa wrote on Sep 6, 2008 5:48 PM:

Please advise your belief or opinion of who or "what" Dr. Guffanti "really is". Please furnish documentation or evidence that supports your opinion. You and I are lucky in that we’ve only been seen by our regular doctors. However, there is one area in medical treatment where we could be treated by a stranger and that is an Emergency Room setting. And, one thing Samuel did not mention is Dr. Guffanti has worked quite extensively in Emergency Rooms of various facilities. This is a specialty that requires special training and education.

To Lisa wrote on Sep 7, 2008 12:48 AM:

Ok, I believe that you are having a problem with respect. You may have your opinions as this is a free country, but when you slander Dr. Guffanti's occupation, I take offense. He has chosen to practice his profession on his own terms and it is no different than if a teacher decided to substitute teach instead of teaching full time to fit their needs. It has no bearing on his position as a Board Member. But for some odd reason you seem to think so. Guess what, people see you for what you really are. A very small-minded person. This man as a Board Member has made himself available to parents, teachers, and anyone else who requests his support in a situation. Dr. Guffanti is concerned with the ability of all children to read and write at grade level in VUSD and yes he supports Linda Mood Bell because the results are beginning to show. So, Lisa, it is time to move on to a new subject. How about why don't we hear from VTA candidates about support for all children of the district being able to read at grade level or above? Now that would be something of value to talk about! Not this personal vendetta against a man who just wants to help the children of this District which he serves.

(53) Lisa wrote on Sep 7, 2008 9:04 AM:

Boy, I must have hit a nerve, I figured fair was fair, since certain people want to dis instructional aides and daycare workers, I thought I'd even the playing field, doesn't feel so great does it? So, no matter your career, what will you do for the kids of VUSD?

(54) Taxpayer to Lisa wrote on Sep 7, 2008 4:18 PM:

I apologize for the poor wording of my question. Let me reword my request thusly: Please explain what you meant when you said "when will the Guffanti backers see him for what he really is?" Please provide us with the information that supports your comment. If you can not furnish this information or choose not to I agree with the 12:48 AM submitter that it is time to move on to another subject. There is one last question however. Could you please explain how Dr. Guffanti, either as an individual or one of a two-person minority on many 3-2 votes, has adversely affected the VTA as an organization or teachers individually? If such decisions were made by the Board at least one of the three-person majority that the unions supported had to have cast the deciding vote. Why not investigate those votes and document who did not support the teachers? Just a thought.

To Lisa again wrote on Sep 7, 2008 10:30 PM:

No one has come out and "bashed" day care providers or instructional aides. What has been said in all of the blogs is that their track record doesn't support their claims of making a difference in the district. Now, that being said. You attacked Dr. Guffanti on a personal level and that is just plain disrespectful to me and it is wrong. I had hoped that people who are running in this election would be able to show better manners than last time, alas I was wrong. I guess that I can always hope that people will choose to stick to the relevant facts and not lower themselves to personally attack one another.

My other question stands: Why is it that you can't respond to my request about having a discussion about literacy in VUSD or find a topic that is worth discussing? Could it be that you don’t have one?

Move on from attacking people on a personal record, it just shows how small-minded you are as a person. Why can’t we just get along?